Get out there and make memories with our picks for the best things to do for kids in and around Houston from Monday, April 25 through Sunday, May 1, 2022.
This week, try to win a free laser game for a year, play music from the 80s, attend a child-friendly opera, sing along to the hits of Encantoand more.
Do you know of an event that could be on the list? Write to us at [email protected] with a link to official event details.
Top 11 things to do for kids and families in Houston this week
- The Barber of Seville in Texas at Miller Outdoor Theater | Tuesday April 26 and Wednesday April 27 | FREE – Houston Grand Opera presents a child-friendly production of The Barber of Seville in Texas, one of opera’s most beloved comic masterpieces with a bilingual twist. Set on a ranch in the Lone Star State, it tells the story of two star-crossed lovers facing a language barrier: Rosina speaks only Spanish, while Almaviva only knows English. Enter the opera’s most famous barber, the bilingual Figaro. 11 a.m.
- Betsy’s Benefit Bingo at Evelyn’s Park | Wednesday April 27 – Gather the kids and enjoy a few games of Bingo in Bellaire. Adults can score beer, house wine or a drink of their choice; kids can win free ice cream or popsicles. Cards are $1 each, cash only. 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Inauguration of the Main Event Tomball | Friday April 29 | No coverage – The newest Family Fun Center outpost opens in Tomball and the first 200 visitors through the door will receive a free laser tag for the year. Plus, everyone can enjoy bowling, arcade games, virtual reality experiences, billiards and more. No admission charge, although attractions are priced individually. $19.99 for all-you-can-eat passes. Ribbon cutting at 10 a.m., doors at noon.
- Lyrics and Lawn Games at Sugar Land Town Square | friday april 29 | FREE – Play along to 80s music at a big garden party with lawn games so everyone can have a good time. 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- by Disney Encanto Film screening at the Miller Outdoor Theater | Friday April 29 | FREE – Attend a live screening of Disney’s 2021 hit movie, Encanto (PG), featuring music by Lin-Manuel Miranda, including the national earworm, “We’re Not Talking About Bruno”. 8:15 p.m.
- 100th Anniversary Party at the Houston Zoo | Saturday April 30 – Celebrate the cute, spooky, and beautiful animals at the Houston Zoo with their 100th anniversary, where visitors can enjoy guest speakers, keeper talks, live ice sculpting, anecdotes about the zoo’s history, and of several other events in an all-day celebration. $24.95 and up. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Crazy of you! Storytime at the Children’s Museum Houston | Saturday April 30 – Don’t be late for a very important date at the Children’s Museum Houston. Celebrate an “un-birthday” with the Mad Hatter during this interactive experience where kids will make their own mad hat while learning to write nursery rhymes and riddles. $15 for ages 1 and up. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Grand Kids Fest at the Grand 1894 Opera House in Galveston | Saturday April 30 | FREE – Proud to introduce the arts to children of all ages, this children’s festival features performances on two outdoor stages and the Grand’s historic indoor stage, as well as over 40 activity booths, hands-on art activities, inflatables, pony rides and more. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Conroe KidzFest in downtown Conroe | Saturday April 30 | FREE – Turn Saturday into a kid-friendly frenzy with inflatables, face painting, live music, game booths, water activities and more at KidzFest. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Neighborhood Community Day at Menil Collection | Saturday April 30 | FREE – The Menil Collection is hosting a free outdoor afternoon of art, music, poetry and family activities to celebrate the vibrant museum district. Noon to 5 p.m.
- Houston Wing Warbird Weekend at CAF Houston Wing Museum & Hangar | Saturday April 30 and Sunday May 1 – Get up close and personal with over 25 WWII-era warplanes and enjoy living history, music, food and entertainment. $20. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.